OT: Why are cars getting bigger?

John Francis johnf at panix.com
Wed Sep 30 15:52:29 EDT 2020

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 02:44:45PM -0700, Larry Colen wrote:

> > On Sep 29, 2020, at 2:39 PM, Paul Stenquist <pnstenquist at comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > A load of crap from a know-nothing.

Quite.  I gave up watching almost immediately.

One reason cars keep getting bigger is because the person most likely to
buy a 2021 Wombat is the owner of an earlier-model-year Wombat.

But people and families keep getting bigger, so they're looking for more
space in the car.  And they've probably got more household income, too,
so there are lots of opportunites to sell high-profit-margin 'features;
a lot of buyers aren't looking for a feature-for-feature replacement.

I've actually remarked on the Ranger when I pulled up behind one (around
here it's common to see old cars & trucks still in everyday use; we don't
have a lot of salt on the roads during winter to eat away the bodywork).
I've also made similar comments about the Honda Civic; what started off
as a pretty basic (and cheap) entry-level model has changed considerably
over the years, and now looks enormous compared to that original model.
(It's also a whole lot more comfortable to drive, and somewhat faster).

As an individual model line grows that opens up space for a smaller and
cheaper model to be added to the lineup. So while a current-year Wombat
may have grown a few inches compared to last year's model, anyone looking
for a smaller vehicle might prefer to test drive the Woodchuck ...