PESO: 3D pop?

Bruce Walker bruce.walker at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 18:39:44 EDT 2020

Mark, I bought an early Super-Multi-Coated Takumar version of that
lens. Mainly because they're the cheapest of that design used, and Rob
Studdard recommended it. (I watched eBay for a few weeks until I saw
one in good shape for under $400 US.)

I like how it performs and the images look. Very, very sharp indeed.
It's easy to manual focus with the really long throw it has. I haven't
pushed the backlit scenes so far, but in those few I have done I
haven't seen CA.

I think you'd find great results with your 67 glass, but of course
it'd be much the same shift for you as using 35mm glass on the crop
APS-C bodies.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 5:58 PM Mark C <pdml-mark at charter.net> wrote:

> I agree re creamy bokeh - if people are going to notice the bokeh you
> don't want them noticing the details of stuff in the bokeh...
>
> Sounds like the 105mm f2.4 is doing well on you your 645Z. Sharp with
> minimal chromatic aberrations? An upgrade path to digital MF using my
> 6x7 lenses is an option I've been trying to keep open, though I wonder
> how well they will perform. And in most cases I have the
> Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 6x7 lens, vs the later SMC 67 versions. On
> film I don't think the difference is huge, but on digital I'm not sure...
>
> Mark
>
> On 9/28/2020 8:16 PM, Bruce Walker wrote:
> > I like cream with my bokeh.
> >
> > I've been using that 67 105mm f:2.4 with my 645Z and the results are
> > wonderful. It makes a terrific portrait short tele on the 645 format.
> >
> > On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 5:25 PM Mark C <pdml-mark at charter.net> wrote:
> >> Lens design has a lot to do with how bokeh is rendered. I've been
> >> shooting film almost exclusively this year, a lot with a Pentax 6x7 and
> >> 105mm f2.4. That lens  seems to have been designed to produce the most
> >> beautiful creamy bokeh possible. I also use a Ricoh Diacord TLR, a 6x6
> >> TLR with a f3.5 Tessar design lens.  The results are incredibly sharp
> >> but you really can't get a smooth bokeh. Forms clump together and
> >> highlights in particular render as circles with almost crisp
> >> circumferences. Each lens has its own purpose. The Pentax lens lets you
> >> easily isolate a subject against a soft background, giving the nice 3d
> >> look. But the Diacord is almost magical in creating the appearance of
> >> infinite depth of field, even when only stopped down to f8 or even f5.6.
> >>
> >> I think one issue is that there is no real agreement about what makes
> >> for a "good" bokeh. The lens in the Diacord seems to have pretty typical
> >> Tessar type characteristics, including the "clumpy" bokeh. But a lot of
> >> folks seem to like that - especially in the rendering of specular
> >> highlights.  Others look for a creamy bokeh with everything running
> >> together.
> >>
> >> Mark

> >> --
> >> PDML Pentax-Discuss Mail List