PESO: Dragonfly

John jsessoms002 at nc.rr.com
Thu Sep 17 09:13:13 EDT 2020

Yeah, I use the center spot for focus too.

I don't know that much about dragonflies or other flying insects, but I have
observed that they sometimes move in patterns. If I watch them long enough they
seem to return to the same spot again and again - either to perch or to hover.

The only success I've had photographing them came from focusing on one before it
darts off, refining focus when it comes back and maybe being able to get the
shot the third time.

Of course, that only works with the ones that do come back again and again. I
don't know get good photos of the other ones

I keep meaning to RTFM for the K-1 and see if it will let you set a pattern
using just the center spot & the 4 spots that form a cross around it. But every
time I try to use all the spots it focuses on something else besides what I'm
trying to photograph.

I really haven't been doing much photography. This covid thing has sapped my
will and I hardly ever go out any more. When I do go out it's only to get an
errand done so I can get back into isolation.