PESO: Grosbeak (and deer)

Stanley Halpin stan at stans-photography.info
Mon Sep 14 08:05:31 EDT 2020

Thanks Ann (and Christine! and Larry! and others who have looked). The Deer photo was mostly about proving that I am not fantasizing deer, they really are right over there. And sometimes right here in our side yard. As a bonus, something that I had not noticed through the lens is that the adult to the rear has a new growth of antlers. I seldom have seen that.

The area across the river is a privately owned Nature Center, several hundred acres across varied terrain with ponds and boggy areas and grassy sections as well as the wooded area close to the river. When Meg was first living in this house back when she was in high school that area was a dairy farm.  A group got together, pooled their funds, got some grants, bought the farm, and over time have expanded and developed a nice facility. Their main focus is educational with pre-school and grade-school Nature Camps and outreach to the schools. Farming demonstrations at the Homestead area, maple sugar in the Fall, etc. Also nice hiking trails. It is nice to look over and see that rather than the homes with manicured lawns that might have been there instead.

Meanwhile, on our side of the river, the grosbeak was for me the catch of the day.

stan