OT: 30 Landscapes You Won't Believe Are in the U.S.

John jsessoms002 at nc.rr.com
Mon Sep 7 17:48:57 EDT 2020

International travels?

Mexico - twice, once on one of those family trips to California we went to
Tijuana for the day with my aunt's family & when I was married we took a
packaged tour to Acapulco & Mexico city. Didn't see a whole lot because my wife
spent most of the time being sick, but we did barely make it out to Teotihuacan.

Canada - I'm pretty sure I've been to Canada ... on a train from New York City
to Detroit when I was a baby. Dad got called back into the Army when he was a
grad student at Columbia & mom took me and my sister to see her family before
coming back to North Carolina.

And I think we might have stopped to refuel in Labrador on the way to Kuwait.

Germany, Kuwait, and Iraq - Stopped in Germany to refuel again before going on
to Kuwait. I saw a little bit of Kuwait city going back & forth between bases
while I was assigned to the logistics team getting the brigade on the road
north. And of course traveling between FOBs in Iraq.

Germany, England, Scotland - Landed back in Germany to change planes for my R&R
trip up to Scotland. Landed in England to clear customs between the EU & UK and
then on up to Glasgow. In Scotland I got to wander around on my own for 15 days,
saw Glasgow, Ft William (where I was a month too late in the year to see the
Harry Potter Train), Malaig, Loch Ness, Inverness & Edinburg.

Hong Kong & China - Ten days semi-chaperoning a college trip. Hong Kong, Guilin,
Nanjing, Beijing & the Great Wall.

There are a lot of places I want to go & see with my own eyes, but I know I'm
never going to get there.