PESO: Autumn Crocus

Bob Pdml pdmlbw at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 04:33:43 EDT 2020

The autumn crocus is the source of the drug colchicine, used to treat acute gout since the time of the ancient Egyptians.

I have some in my medicine cabinet from my last series of gout attacks about 3 years ago. It is highly toxic and there is a limit to how many tablets you can take in a week before you have to have several weeks of not taking any, so you’d better hope for some relief from the pain before you reach the limit.

Eating the plant can cause multiple organ failure quite quickly and there is no antidote.