Vintage Enlarger

Bill anotherdrunkensot at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 11:11:06 EDT 2020

On Mon., Oct. 19, 2020, 3:36 p.m. Daniel J. Matyola, <danmatyola at gmail.com>
wrote:

> In cleaning out my basement, I have a vintage film enlarger that I need to
> dispose of.  It is made by DeJur, belonged to my father-in-law, and is at
> least 60 years old, but still intact.
> I would prefer to see it go to someone who would use it, rather than to the
> local landfill.  Too heavy to be shipped economically.  Any ideas on how I
> might proceed?

I had 3 colour enlargers and a cold light head enlarger that I tried to
sell a few years ago. Because of the size and awkwardness of them, they are
expensive to ship directly, as you have found, and fragile to ship LTL, but
if well packed should be OK.
I was able to sell one of the colour head units, ironically the cheap
Beseler C67, and ended up sending a Beseler 23C, a 45C and a Zone VI cold
light Beseler 4x5 to the dump. I didn't get any nibbles on them that I
could convert to a sale.

I'm not sure how desirable an old DeJur enlarger is. They are cool looking,
but didn't have a great reputation. I had a 5x7 DeJur for a while when I
bought my first 4x5 camera, a Crown Graphic, when I was around 17.
It was a difficult enlarger to use.

Do a little checking to see if you can find a trucking company that will
include it in an LTL shipment. That might bring shipping costs down quite a
bit, though delivery times can increase somewhat.

When I was selling brick, one time I had a couple of cubes sent from a
plant in North Dakota via LTL. When I got to work the next morning, there
was a low deck with a ginormous piece of road building equipment on it and
my cubes of brick looking like wheel chocks in front of the tires. The
shipping was about half of a full load price using the same company.

Bill