PESO - Crystal

Igor PDML-StR pdmlstr at komkon.org
Mon Oct 19 15:11:27 EDT 2020

Back in May, sitting at home, we did some scientific experiments:
we grew salt crystals, and then I quickly took a few photos that the kiddo
could show to her virtual class.

This is the most "photogenic" crystal
http://42graphy.org/misc/2020-05-18-crystals/_IR04043.html

However, it is actually polycrystalline (you can see crystallites of a
different crystalline orientation), and it was a "byproduct".
The main crystal is monocrystalline (except maybe some junk at the edge):
http://42graphy.org/misc/2020-05-18-crystals/_IR04034.html

This was not a big photography project, the photographs were taken
quickly on the kitchen table (a last-minute thought).

The biggest challenge with photographing crystals was choosing the light
and its direction to highlight the crystal planes.
I would expect that lighting techniques used by Mark C. while
photographing his snowflakes would be useful for this type of subject,
even though these crystals are macroscopic, unlike the snowflakes.

All comments are welcome!

Igor