Re: OT: NYTimes: Richard Avedon’s Wall-Size Ambitions

Bruce Walker bruce.walker at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 09:37:11 EDT 2020

Thanks for this Stan!

I love Avedon's work. I have struggled for years about what my
attitude is toward art vs fashion and I have finally come to the
conclusion that "the art world" can go suck an egg. That they could
sneer at Avedon until after his death is beyond reprehensible.

Then there's the photographic world's own prejudices:

>> On top of that, “street photography” was ascendant in curatorial circles
>> and it would not be until the beginning of this century that “studio” photography
>>  was given equal stature in critical thinking about photographic practice.

As far as I can tell, the likes of Robert Frank, Walker Evans and Alec
Soth are still pre-eminent and studio work is still ignored.

Three cheers for the talented and creative "fashion" photographers, like Avedon.

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 8:15 AM Stan Halpin <stan at stans-photography.info> wrote:

> Below is a link to an article about Avedon in today’s New York Times. Hopefully the link will get you beyond any paywall.
>
> stan
> Sent from my iPad
>

> > Richard Avedon’s Wall-Size Ambitions
> > https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/16/arts/design/richard-avedon-group-portraits.html?referringSource=articleShare