OT: Smartphone Telephoto Lenses

Godfrey DiGiorgi godfreydigiorgi at me.com
Fri Oct 9 18:16:01 EDT 2020

The standard 1x for most smartphone cameras is equivalent to about a 28mm focal length on 35mm FF, albeit the typical smartphone aspect ratio is 3:4 native, not 2:3. By comparison, 50mm (on 35mm FF) is a pretty long lens, about a 2x magnification factor (not counting digital zoom).

If you want something longer, the Moment case and auxiliary lenses provide a 58mm equivalent, which when fitted to the iPhone 11 Pro's 2x camera nets a FoV of about 105mm (on 35mm FF). It's an excellent quality auxiliary lens and nets very good results, particularly if you use some kind of a support to keep the iPhone absolutely steady when making an exposure. And with the Moment camera app, you have excellent exposure control and raw output to work with.

I have both the Moment 18mm wide and 58mm telephoto auxiliary lenses. With them, and the Moment camera app, the iPhone 11 Pro becomes something more than just a smartphone camera. Used to best advantage, one can be hard pressed to see the difference between what the result look like compared to at least an APS-C and even a few FF cameras.

Of course, there are many constraints ... smartphone cameras have teensy sensors so net their best picture quality at the lowest ISO settings, etc.

—
No matter where you go, there you are.