OT: Smartphone Telephoto Lenses

Bill anotherdrunkensot at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 10:20:36 EDT 2020

On 10/6/2020 12:38 PM, Paul Stenquist wrote:
> I was surprised to learn that the “telephoto” lens on the best Apple and Samsung phones yields only the fov of a 50 mm lens on 35 mm full frame. Not exactly a big glass look and hardly deserving of the telephoto moniker.
>
> Paul

Not quite correct, at least on my Galaxy Note 10. The phone has 3
cameras, the wide angle is quite wide, somewhere between 24 and 28mm
equivalent on a 35mm format, the standard is pretty close to 40mm
equivalent, the telephoto is closer to 70mm than 50mm equivalent.
I checked this by comparing the live view on the K1 to the phone screen.
Something to remember is that the phone is a much wider aspect ratio.
The Note 10 is 19:9 compared to the 2:3 aspect ratio of 35mm.
I did my Q&D comparison by looking at the top to bottom coverage rather
than side to side coverage.

bill