OT: Why are cars getting bigger?

John jsessoms002 at nc.rr.com
Sat Oct 3 12:59:29 EDT 2020

On 10/2/2020 20:25:08, lrc at red4est.com wrote:

> On October 2, 2020 5:09:55 PM PDT, John Francis <johnf at panix.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 02, 2020 at 02:58:03AM -0400, Igor PDML-StR wrote:
>>>

>>> Boris Liberman Wed, 30 Sep 2020 22:32:55 -0700 wrote:
>>>
>>> My late father was 172 cm tall and considered himself an average
>> height. I
>>> am 180 cm tall and I think just like my dad.
>>>
>>> So, yes - he could fit comfortably in Ford Escort circa 1980es, while
>> I'd
>>> prefer bigger Ford Focus.
>>
>> I'm 180cm (5' 11"), about the same height as my father, and neither of
>> us
>> (or my younger brother) had any problem fitting in, or driving, our
>> 1970
>> Ford Escort Estate.
>>
>> My brother ended up owning that car - when I left home I chose to take
>> my
>> mother's Morris Minor 1000 Traveller at no cost, rather than purchasing
>> the Escort at a nominal price.
>
> Just a few days ago I watched a bit of a hoonigan video where someone upwards of 6'4" got into and drove a 1966 MG midget.
>
> He actually got better than he would have in a Miata.

I've shrunk to somewhere between 5'11" and 5'10" ** and I have trouble fitting
in a Miata

... and it's not just because I'm too wide now, so shut up you face.

I couldn't use the gas & brake pedals without my knee hitting the side of the
console. I ended up with a MGB instead (which also cost me about 1/10 what the
Miata would have).

** Maxed out at 6'0" in my late teens - early 20s and life has been hammering me
down since then.