OT network storage

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Sat Jun 27 14:03:24 EDT 2020

> On Jun 27, 2020, at 3:14 AM, mike wilson <m.9.wilson at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> After the dead disk fiasco, I'm looking at network storage units.  Drobo stuff seems to be either astronomically priced or unavailable here.
>
> Anyone had any experience of these?
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Synology-DS420j-Bay-Desktop-Enclosure/dp/B083KG3PXN/ref=sr_1_8

I have a DS416.

It was fairly easy to set up, and it does seem to work OK as second level backup.

It has a lot of features that I don’t need or use.  I don’t know how it compares with other NAS systems but it’s a lot slower than local storage and seems a bit slower than other Samba connections with computers. I ran into the interesting problem that storage partitions max out at 16T.  I have no major complaints, though my next similar system is likely going to be just throwing a bunch of disks inside a Linux box.

I’ve had it for a few years, and haven’t really had any serious trouble.  It doesn’t make be jump up with joy, but I have no major complaints.