PESO 2020 - 146 - GDG

Godfrey DiGiorgi godfreydigiorgi at me.com
Sat Jun 27 10:51:02 EDT 2020

I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and can't sleep on my right side. Sleeping on my back at a semi-reclined position means that I wake up after about two-three hours and have to get up, walk around, and sit upright for a bit before I can get back to sleep. I've been going through this cycle once or twice per night.

Last night I left the desk lamp in my office on when I went to bed at midnight. At 3:00 I awakened and this quiet, very low light emanated through the bedroom door from the hallway. It was beautiful; I had to make a photograph.

 https://flic.kr/p/2jfPGb7

I set the camera up on a tripod and leveled it in the office so as not to awaken my partner. Quietly tiptoed back into the bedroom and place it where I thought would work, pointed it in the right direction.

Hmm. What exposure? It was too dark for anything to show up on the LCD at all. I made an exposure on A mode and got nearly perfect exposure with the e-shutter. And then I realized the second problem: how to focus it. Hmm. hmm.

I went back to the office and found my little pencil beam flashlight, shone it on the doorknob, and manually focused the camera. Reframed just a little by turning the camera and tripod just a little to the left. Made a second exposure. Perfect.

As I step out of the bedroom carrying the camera and tripod, I hear this noise from behind me. "Go back to sleep," I said. Noise ceased.

Onwards.

—
"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
 – Mark Twain