photographing textile arts

ann sanfedele annsan at nyc.rr.com
Tue Jun 23 08:33:34 EDT 2020

I have a suggestion for Christine from my days of shooting product for
market research , which I'll go into below.

But to clarify, dan, what I do is design patterns in Photoshop Elements
usually starting with photos but not necessarily and put the designs on
cafepress.
in my "shop" there and on thier market place.  cafepress has a lot of
products they can and do put my stuff on and the affiliates on the
market place select them to put on t shirts, mugs, wall hangings,
linens, and calendars of course.  I also put some designs up on site
that mainly produces yard goods but
I found it a bit too complicated a procedure and one had to buy a sample
patch for $5.00 before they would add your design for them to sell
publicly..
it is called Spoonflower .. they have design competitions too, but all
of the fabrics are yardage of repetitive patterns , I was more
interested in stretching
a specific image to cover the whole area of whatever I wanted to make -
which I was able to do in cafepress when I desgined a duvet cover and
pillow for myself in 2018..  I showed off that fabric when you came to
visit last year, Dan

Christine - one thing I did to photograph artwork and especially things
that had, as you said, shiney bits, is to get some polarizing sheets and
put them over lights on stands to the left and right of the subject at
45 degree angles , and shoot with a polarizer on the camera.. I did this
to shoot
packages of foil wrapped candies on a shelf  - a real PITA.. Can't
remember where I learned that - but I think it came from an article in
one of the
old photo magazines - and this was in the day of film, of course. The
filters on the lights were rotated so that they would be at crossed
Nichols in relation to the filter on the camera.

ann