photographing textile arts

John jsessoms002 at nc.rr.com
Mon Jun 22 16:13:57 EDT 2020

On 6/21/2020 17:48:35, Christine Aguila wrote:
> Hi Everyone!
>
> Hope all is well!
>
> Quick question:
> I’d like to develop skills used to photograph the textile arts—which can often include fabrics with beads and metals and sequins etc.
> So, has anyone done this kind of work?  Any recommendations? Tips? Resources?
>
> Also, any tips for ways and stands for hanging the art so it can be photographed?
>
> I do have a photography background stand for background papers etc.  Has anyone used this stand to photograph art?
>
> Maybe two stands?  One to hold the rolled background paper, then another stand to hang the art from?  Something like that?  What do you think?
>
> Cheers, Christine
>

> Sent from my iPad

I have a permanently attached bar across the top of one wall in my living room
that has a cloth backdrop on it. (10' section of 1" EMT & a couple of wall
mounted plant hangers)

I also have a portable background support (2 light stands + a cross bar).

I have used the portable stand to hang a guitar so I could photograph it. I used
a black high strength fish line to hang the guitar that was easy to Photoshop
out afterwards.

I used a 4x8 foot white flat (actually just a piece of sheet-rock) that I aimed
the light at and let light reflect off of it to illuminate the subject. That
gives a very large soft light.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jb_sessoms/50034197468

The backdrop is an old Martha Stewart King-size flat bed-sheet I dyed using Rit
dyes flicked from a paint brush. It's a combination of blue & black and maybe a
BIG ol' coffee stain on a slightly off-white sheet.

Come to think about it, I probably used the portable backdrop stand to hold the
sheet up while I was "painting" it. That's likely the first thing I ever used it
for.