Does the teleconverter help?

Igor PDML-StR pdmlstr at komkon.org
Fri Jun 12 16:31:59 EDT 2020

Hi Larry!

A while back, I've had a few occasions when I had a chance to compare
a lens+TC vs lens+cropping.

My overall impression was that indeed, sometimes, going without TC might
be as good or even better than with TC (but not always).

I remember two cases when no TC was better.
1. I was shooting vultures at the top of an old dead tree against the sky
(which, IIRC, was greyish).
It seems to me that the extra glass was making the already bad contrast
situation even worse.
However, even without the TC, the pictures weren't very good... So,
it without the TC the images were not as bad.

2. I did a photo session with the then resident spider.
http://42graphy.org/galleries/spider/ (Sorry, back than I created the
gallery with Flash, and after that I've never gotten to redoing it with
HTML.)
I shot with Pentax D-FA 100/2.8 macro (pre WR version), and with that +
Pentax 1.7x AF, and (IIRC) also Pentax x2.0 (manual focus).
The problem with the TC was the extremely shallow DOF.

But now I am thinking if the 2nd image in the gallery
("Close encounter IMGP4030") was actually taken with the 1.7x AF. I don't
remember now.

Igor

Larry Colen Wed, 10 Jun 2020 20:26:02 -0700

I took some photos of Mombird today with the bigma, and some with the
bigma
plus my 2x teleconverter (which becomes manual focus)

It’s my impression that the best with the TC are a little bit better than
cropping without it, though with manual focus I missed many more shots.

It’s pretty warm here, I think she was opening her mouth to try to cool
off.  I
did try to get a couple at the end of the day, I’ve got a light set up
from a
distance away and it’s hard to tell if it helps or hurts during daylight.

No teleconverter
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/albums/72157714656240811

With teleconverter
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/albums/72157714657851507
take some macro
photos with both a macro lens, and a macro len