OT: Word of the Day

Daniel J. Matyola danmatyola at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 09:20:21 EDT 2020

As I love words, I subscribe to A.Word.A.Day. from Wordsmith.   <
wsmith at wordsmith.org>  I thought the entry for today would interest some
here and amuse others:

* Wordsmith.org <https://wordsmith.org/>* The magic of words
*MooT - the Semantics and Etymology game <https://mootgame.com>*
The world's toughest language game.
mootgame.com How to sponsor? <https://wordsmith.org/awad/ad.html>

A.Word.A.Day
with Anu Garg

You may know Japan as the land that gave us manga and anime, ikebana and
bonsai, and more. It’s also a place of high technology and deep
enlightenment. It’s a place where they may be working on the gadget that
can make a cup of tea in seconds. It’s also the place where learning how to
properly make and serve tea can take years.

Of all the places I have visited around the world, Japan remains among my
most favorite. This week we’ll take you to Japan through five words from
Japanese that we have borrowed into the English language. bokeh

PRONUNCIATION:
(BOH-kay/kuh) <https://wordsmith.org/words/bokeh.mp3>

MEANING:
*noun*: The blurred effect in a photograph, typically as a soft
out-of-focus background, that results in a pleasing effect and helps to
draw attention to the subject of the photograph.

ETYMOLOGY:
>From Japanese boke (blur, haze) or boke-aji (blur quality). Earliest
documented use: 1997.

USAGE:
“All I remember now are those lights that decorated my soul behind a bokeh.”
Mukhpreet Khurana; *Unlocked Silences*; Notion Press; 2018.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
I want to walk through life instead of being dragged through it. -Alanis
Morissette, musician (b. 1 June 1974)

Dan Matyola
*https://tinyurl.com/DJM-Pentax-Gallery