PDML meet-up in Britain? Early May...

Stanley Halpin stan at stans-photography.info
Fri Jan 17 12:43:50 EST 2020

Thanks all!

Some variations to our plans that I have thought of, based in part on your responses:

	a. on arrival in Southampton 1 May, instead of heading immediately SW we could instead head for London environs, overnight, Saturday with Bob & whoever, then proceed SW later on Saturday 2 May. Unless of course Bob has moved to Paris or back to Gibraltar or some other exotic locale.

	b. We have thought of finding lodging a bit closer to or into Cornwall, e.g. Tavistock, Gunnislake… Which is the region Meg’s Dad was from. A feasible day trip from there would be back toward Exeter if Cotty & Alma are in that neighborhood.

	c. Definitely intrigued by Guernsey. I checked ferry schedules from Poole. Given the timing and the length of the trip, it doesn’t seem feasible to do a day trip, but maybe an overnight. However I am not seeing any ferries back from Guernsey mid-day, everything seems to be late afternoon/evening… I’ll do some more looking and keep this in mind.

I am a bit concerned about early May, Bank Holiday on 8 May, and how that impacts our plans. I can visualize great masses of urbanites streaming toward any available green space, zeroing in on all available “charming" B&Bs etc. But at least the powers-that-be had the sense to postpone May 1 for a week so that any disruption will happen at the end of our travels rather than the beginning!

I will continue planning and booking and will remain flexible on specific until mid-April.

Stan