Mini-GESO: Monarch Releases

Daniel J. Matyola danmatyola at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 12:04:15 EDT 2020

Thanks, Igor.

I agree that having it on a branch or leaf with a nice background would
likely be a better image photographically.  I have images like that,
however, and was trying for something different here.

The purpose of these images was to illustrate the process of releasing the
emerged butterflies, taking them from the cage and setting them free in the
great outdoors.  In most cases, the best method is to do this by hand,
capturing one gently between my hands, taking it outdoors, and then opening
my hands to see how the insect will react.  Some immediately fly high in
the sky to look for nectar plants.  Others, like these, cling to my hand
for several minutes until they decide to fly away or I gently place them on
the leaf of a milkweed or nectar plant.  One in particular held on so
tightly that I could feel it pinching my skin, and I had to make several
attempts before I managed to transfer its feet to a plant rather than my
hand.

It is an interesting process, and I wanted to share part of it with my
friends.

Dan Matyola
*https://tinyurl.com/DJM-Pentax-Gallery