See Below

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Sun Aug 2 14:22:01 EDT 2020

> On Aug 2, 2020, at 11:06 AM, Alan C <cole at lantic.net> wrote:
>
> Larry, that's an excellent suggestion. Only problem is that the Kruger Park is off limits at night unless you are a Rhino Poacher or a member of an armed response team. I'll look around for a similar anthill outside the park.

If you do it with astrotracer, one advantage of light painting (with a strobe?) is that most of the terrestrial image will be "frozen" and just "motion blurred" at the edges. You can see that if you look carefully at the edges of the building in this photo I did with the astrotracer and K-5.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/11770425926/

> In the meantime I've ordered a cable shutter release for the K5 so I can use the Astrotracer without standing there with my finger on the button!

Did you order one of the dumb ones, or one with a built in intervelometer?  If you are using the intervelometer, you need to set the interval to 1 second, unless you want to add somethign like 5 seconds to the photo time with astrotracer.

Also, there's the question of doing the darkfield noise settings.  The best results are probably to do some manual darkfield frames and do the processing in post.

BTW, you shouldn't need to hold the shutter in astrotracer, you set the period in multilples of 10 seconds, press the shutter with a 2 second delay, and it does A/T for the set period.

> Perhaps you have suggestion for dealing with the harsh light besides waiting for a rainy day? Maybe some kind of filter?

In processing I'd bring up the shadow slider and bring down the highlights.  I'd try to do my most important landscape images at golden/blue hour time periods.  If I was shooting something small, close and stationary I'd try a bit of fill, either a reflector or as big of a flash as I could get (don't know if the flash would have enough to soften shadows beyond a couple feet).

Alternatively, rather than fighting it, I might try and use the harsh lighting to set the mood.  It really does make the area look like  desert.