Which laptop for Lightroom and how to test?

Stanley Halpin stan at stans-photography.info
Tue Oct 29 17:30:07 EDT 2019

Where do you find your present laptop to be a bother? If it is only when you import or export, then it would seem that the key design element you need to look for is fast I/O bus, USB-C or Thunderbolt 3. And then, yes, test as you suggest.
But I don’t know how such a test would tell you anything about using LR to process your files. Wouldn’t processing use totally different aspects of the system?
In my own experience, I have an older laptop. MacPro, but that doesn’t matter. I stopped traveling with it because it was too slow. Where I noticed the slowness was e.g. when I had a Grid View, selected a new image, and then switched to Develop module. And then waited and waited while a full size preview was generated. If I were going to test a new system for relative speed, I think some aspect of rendering or processing adjustments might be more important that simple I/O tests.
I now use a iPad instead, defer any serious processing until I am back home. Even my 3-4 year old iPad is faster than my 10-year old laptop.

stan