Which laptop for Lightroom and how to test?

P. J. Alling webstertwentysix at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 15:26:16 EDT 2019

What I'm thinking is that AMD has faster more efficient processors than
Intel at the moment.  As to laptops, I custom built myself a desktop a
few years ago and it still meets my needs so I don't have any
suggestions about that.

I will state for the record that my desktop is built around an AMD 6
core chip, but I didn't buy it because AMD chips were better than Intel,
at the time they weren't, however that particular chip maximized the
bang for the buck, so I was willing to deal with a slightly slower less
efficient chip.

On 10/28/2019 4:58 PM, Jos de Fotograaf wrote:
> Dear group,
> I need a new laptop and want one that is faster on Lightroom
> processing than my present HP pavilion with i7 and SSD
> I think of ordering several "mobile workstations" upto 2000euro and do
> a comparative test with them.
> Thinking of i7, 8th or 9th generation / 4 or 6 cores/16 or 32 GB/ 512
> or 1000 GB SSD
> I will keep the best and send the others back.
> But how to test?
> I was thinking:
>
>  * measure time to import 20 K1 DNG files
>  * or export 20 K1 DNG files to high quality JPEGs
>
> Would that be a good approach?
>
> Or better tests?
>
> Tanks in advance, greetz, Jos

     - P.J. O'Rourke