GESO: Sylvan Heights Bird Park

John jsessoms002 at nc.rr.com
Sun Oct 27 15:55:54 EDT 2019

The Sylvan Heights Bird Park is one of the largest conservation bird parks in
the U.S. and it's only about 2 hours from my house (allowing time for a
leisurely stop at McDonald's in Nashville, NC to get coffee).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Ev1lIT75M

It has large, open air (netted) enclosures you can walk inside and get up close
& personal with the birds. I got to go down there a couple weeks ago to see what
I could do with the 600/4.

The first 6 are with the 600/4, number 7 is with the 80-200/2.8

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jb_sessoms/48969069383 Masked Lapwing?

This little guy was a fugitive from the Australia exhibit running about in the
enclosure for the Florida Flamingos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jb_sessoms/48969065903 American Flamingo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jb_sessoms/48969607326 Mandarin Duck

Another fugitive ... this time from the Europe-Asia exhibit. I don't think they
get too fussed about "escapees" getting into other enclosures as long as the
birds are safe.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jb_sessoms/48969779392 Hammerkop

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jb_sessoms/48969776732 Chilean Flamingo

The Chileann Flamingos weren't as pink as the American Flamingos. I think they
may have not gotten as many of whatever crustacean Flamingos eat that gives them
the pink color.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jb_sessoms/48969053993 ???? Lapwing?

I didn't find this one in the Wikipedia article about lapwings, so I'm not sure
what it is, or if it even is a Lapwing, but it's got that same little flap on
the side of its face.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jb_sessoms/48969594931 Whooping Crane

And finally the Whooping Crane - not very sharp because his head was moving as
he groomed himself and I was shooting through a chain link fence. This is one of
the birds you can't get into the enclosure with. Sylvan Heights has a breeding
pair, both injured so they can't be released back into the wild. I only include
it because most people will never even get to see a live Whooping Crane

As usual, I'm not all that certain about my identifications, so if anyone knows
better, let me know.