PESO 2019 - 116-119 - GDG

Godfrey DiGiorgi godfreydigiorgi at me.com
Sat Oct 26 09:57:11 EDT 2019

Thank you all for the comments!

In case you want to see the cycle route, here's a detail map created by the Garmin Edge 25:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48956988478_a51e91c875_o.jpg

> On Oct 25, 2019, at 12:23 PM, Bob Pdml <pdmlbw at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Nice set. That small empty road looks nice! I don't understand the Caltrain thing - are those bikes in a train carriage?

Yes: CalTrain usually includes at least one bicycle carriage per train, sometimes more. The carriages are two level, the first level is for bicycle parking and the second level for seating with an open space so you can see your bike parked below.

> I may have asked this before, what do you carry the camera in?

Most of the time, and with most cameras, I use a Wotancraft Mini Rider sling bag:
https://www.wotancraft.tw/en/product/mini-rider-vintage-grey-canvas

This is an extremely nicely made and very convenient sling bag. I had them make customized straps (FoC) so that it sits perfectly across my back and when the secondary strap is hooked, it positively, absolutely cannot move around as I ride. Yet, unhook one fastener and it can flip around to my chest where I can get things in and out of very quickly. It holds much more than it looks like it ought to as well.

Lately, with cooler weather coming on, I've needed space to carry spare over-jersey, sometimes long cycle pants as well as shorts too. I have the larger model Wotancraft sling bag that would do that easily, but I find it a bit over-much unless I'm also carrying a good bit of other stuff. I recently found this bag, the Vitesse Musette by Waterfield Design:
https://www.sfbags.com/products/vitesse-cycling-musette

It's an extremely simple design … and it just works superbly for a huge range of uses. On the bike, I've carried it with a bunch of different gear and other stuff in it. It lays flat on the small of my back and also positively does not move around, at all. And it's very versatile due to it being just a simple bag without a bazillion little pockets, zippers, and other stuff. When I put a camera in it, I usually use a wrap or padded pouch to help protect it that doesn't take up so much space. Beautifully made of very good materials here in SF, utter simplicity itself. I find myself using it a lot of the time now.

I tried putting bags and such on the bike and offloading the gear into that, but I found I don't really like doing that much. It changes the bike's handling and I fear for all the vibration and shock it delivers to the camera and lenses.

> The calories thing is great. I went cycling for a long weekend in Norfolk in August with a friend and when I told her how many calories we were burning she didn't believe me, but was thrilled when she eventually was persuaded.

I track my route and heart rate, and the gizmo calculates calories which I enter into the MyFitnessPal app with all my food and drink. It works well for me, and I'm enjoying better health and fitness than I had for years. :)

Onwards!