PESO: mushroom season

Igor PDML-StR pdmlstr at komkon.org
Mon Oct 21 11:56:53 EDT 2019

Wow!
I envy you!
Great "harvest" and good photos!

We've been gathering those with my parents a lot when I was a kid.
It's been ages since I've done that. (I am not familiar with place in
Texas where you can gather mushrooms, and I am not even sure if Central
Texas has much of variety of mushrooms that I am used to. The last time
I did mushroom hunting was in Mendocino county in N. California many years
ago.)

The mushrooms in your photos, I believe, are called "Honey mushroom"
(Genus Armillaria).
The Russian name for it, "opyonok" (written as "openok", pl. openky),
originates from "around a stump".
I just found that in Canada, in particular in Manitoba, it is called
the same way "openky", with the same origin attribution (via Ukrainian).

I just discovered this fun fact:

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armillaria )
One of the four UK species can cause sickness when ingested
with alcohol. For those unfamiliar with the species, it is advisable not
to drink alcohol for 12 hours before and 24 hours after eating this
mushroom to avoid any possible nausea and vomiting.
<<<<

In Russia, people often use marinated "Openky"- Honey Mushroom as a chaser
after a shot of vodka.
And I've never heard about anybody there vomiting after these mushroom...
On the other hand, after plenty of vodka...
;-)

Thanks for sharing!

Igor