OT: The amazing discovery

Paul Stenquist pnstenquist at mac.com
Mon Oct 14 11:57:55 EDT 2019

Thanks Ken. At times dad earned his living as an artist. During the depression he sometimes painted murals in the homes of the wealthy and in businesses, including a lobby mural in the fabulous but long gone Edgewater Beach Hotel on the Chicago lakefront. When I was growing up, art sales supplemented his income, but his primary role was that of a color photo engraver at Lakeside Press in Chicago. That printing company produced Time, Life, and Look magazines, along with the Sears catalog and other big jobs. Dad retouched color photos by engraving the copper plates with chemicals. His fingers were always stained. Sometimes he would bring home 8x10 transparencies after a job was complete. We had a light box, and I loved looking at the photos. I wish I had saved some. Don’t know what became of them. Fortunately, I do have quite a few of my father’s paintings, including some gallery show winners and a Smokey Mountains scene that was praised by the art critic for the Chicago Tribune.