help with making a PDF file from a doc file

Nolan Hinshaw Cearnog at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 8 12:44:14 EDT 2019

On Oct 7, 2019, at 18:12, ann sanfedele <annsan at nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
> I have 72 kb doc file that is in MS Word ( 97/2000/xp) I'd like to convert to PDF and I don't have the software/app to do that.  Is there someone who could do it if I sent you the file as an attachment in email? I can read the file in Open Office, But I want to send it to someone in PDF format if possible.

The glib answer from the saur-chasm is, “Get a Mac”[0], as PDF is one of the native file formats in that environment. I’d thought that PDF was an option in Open Orifice as well, but that seems not to be the case; I think it is with Libre Office (“and you can export your work in many different formats including PDF.” it sez in the web site at libreoffice.org), with which I’ve replaced Open Office, and it may be a long-term better solution for other reasons, as it’s a fork of Open Office from 2010, first released in 2011, and has a bright future ahead of it.

[0] The easy, clean, and simple way to run well-behaved[1] applications for µ$oft on a machine running MacOS or Linux or BSD or even Solaris is to have WINE[2] or its fully-supported pre-compiled variant Crossover from Codeweavers[3] to map the applications’ calls to the µ$oft Application Binary Interface (ABI) into the underlying operating system’s ABI.

[1] as in only makes calls to the published Window$ ABI and not to unpublished sekrit resources or to the underlying BIOS

[2] WINE Is Not an Emulator - see [0] above

[3] <http://www.codeweavers.com/products>; the company publishes lists of applications known to work well with Crossover, provides support, and gives good value for the money.
—
^<@<.@*
}"_# |