PESO Ward and Susan

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Sun Nov 10 20:34:03 EST 2019

> On Nov 10, 2019, at 3:46 PM, Paul Sorenson <pentax1941 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Portraits are all about capturing emotion and you've done that well, especially the couples shots and those of Susan.  They give a sense of who they are and that they would be people one might want to know.

They are fun people.

> DISCLAIMER:  The following opinions may or may not be useful.

I have found that your opinions and feedback are almost always useful, whether or not I agree with them or follow them.

> A couple of Ward - 11100 & 11195 - might have benefited from a little less fill light to get just a little more contrast between the shadows and the highlights.

I put a fair bit of effort into balancing key and fill. I think you’re right, I could have cut the fill a little bit. Lighting is always fun in a room that’s only 11 feet wide.

>  I'm not sure the shape of his face works with hatchet lighting, as in 11212.  I think short lighting for his face shape may have worked better, at least for me, by turning his face more toward the main light camera left and adding some fill light slightly from camera right.

Good point.  We did a few, just for fun, where I turned off either the key or the fill for dramatic lighting.   They were very out of the scope of what he needed so we didn’t put a lot of work into it, but that was one of the frames he liked.

My process with them seems to have worked well.  Susan warned me ahead of time that she was the very opposite of photogenic, I assured her that photogenic is a skill, not something that you’re born with.  We did several short sets stopping to review each one and learn what does and doesn’t work.  I also had them “direct” each other to coax more natural reactions from them.  Afterwards I had each one rate their one photos as either 2 or 3 stars, (3 stars being worth coming back to), and then had the other grade them red, yellow and green. Only about 20 came out as both 3 stars and green after they both selected their favorites.

   LRC