PESO 2019 - "Analog Forever" SF Photo Walk - GDG

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Sun Nov 10 16:09:15 EST 2019

> On Nov 10, 2019, at 11:14 AM, Godfrey DiGiorgi <godfreydigiorgi at me.com> wrote:
>
> I thought this might be of interest to some.
>

> I signed up to obtain a first issue of the new Analog Forever magazine (https://www.analogforevermagazine.com) a few months ago. A week or three ago, I received an invite to a San Francisco photo walk in honor of their launch. Yesterday was the day...
>
> Getting ready to go, I thought about what camera to take along. The Hasselblad 500CM came to mind, but I recently had my Minox C and EC cameras out and I thought, "Hmm. I wonder if folks would like to see some Minox cameras. I'm sure there'll be other Hasselblads..." So I loaded a roll of Minopan (Agfa APX) 25 into the Minox C and a roll of Minopan 100 into the Minox EC. Carrying two Minox cameras with their flash unit as well as the Minox tripod (just in case) leaves my bag delightfully light and empty, to the point where I then thought, "Oh stuff it: I'll carry the Polaroid SLR670x by MiNT and two packs of 600 Color as well." That way we could share some photos at the end-walk meetup point at SF Camerawork (https://sfcamerawork.org). :D
>
> I took CalTrain up from San Jose to avoid having to deal with parking and traffic, and bussed up to the start point. Meet up was at Glass Key Photo (http://www.glasskeyphoto.com) on Sutter near Van Ness Avenue. I arrived as folks were beginning to show up and walked in. Oh my! I haven't seen a photo shop with a wall of printing papers and a set of refrigerators full of film behind the counter in quite a long time!
>
> People arrived with a delightful array of interesting cameras. Lots of instant film, new and old, 35mm RFs, 35mm SLRs, and MF SLRs/TLRs/RFs. A couple folks with 8mm and Super 8 movie cameras. Everyone was in a festive mood and happy to chat about their gear, their photography, etc, and there was a good mix of men and women as well. A few folks I knew from other events and places were there, notably my friends from Modern Book Gallery days Niniane and Danny. (Danny still works for Modern Book in their latest efforts and Niniane now works for Analog Forever.)
>
> The walk commenced with the usual hubbub of getting a group shot. About a hundred people had assembled... quite a daunting group to photograph in the narrow confines of the sidewalk outside the shop. After that we loosely meandered along in a spread out bunch of groups, first up to Bush Street and then down Bush to the Leica Store near the top of Grant Avenue and the Dragon Gate, people snapping photos as we went. Then the walk headed down to Market Street, and back towards Van Ness until we arrived at SF Camerawork.

> [...]

Heh, two  Polaroid posts in rapid succession.  A short while ago, I ran across a Polaroid 340 with what seems to be a full pack of film, or maybe nearly empty, the exposed tab says 01, but it looks like there are more behind it.

I expect that there is someone on this list that would get more enjoyment of of it than I would.

--
Larry Colen
lrc at red4est.com