Small sensors, with a PESO

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Sat Nov 9 21:31:10 EST 2019

> On Nov 9, 2019, at 5:05 PM, Steve Cottrell <cotty at seeingeye.tv> wrote:
>
> On 9/11/19, Juan Buhler, discombobulated, unleashed:
>
>> Interesting. So you shoot jpegs with these? As I was saying, I find the jpg
>> compression + sensor noise combination to be unpleasant. For this reason I
>> only like compacts that shoot raw.
>
> I do.
>
> <http://www.seeingeye.tv/PESO/004.html>
>
> The Fuji X20's sensor is a 12MP 2/3 inch CMOS so it's not a slouch, but obvs outdated now.
>
> I love this camera because of the optical viewfinder. It's not the snappiest performer but if I carry one camera because I don't know what to photograph, this'll be it.
>
> <http://www.seeingeye.tv/PESO/008.html>

Nice composition, but I think you might have overshot the mark a little bit in terms of grittiness.

> <http://www.seeingeye.tv/PESO/peso020.html>

This one I quite like.

> <http://www.seeingeye.tv/PESO/peso032.html>

Nice shot, I think it would be better with a bit more shadow detail.

All this shows is that you and I aren’t the same person.

> I guess shooting like this is restricting because I'm narrowing my options. But it makes me think high contrast and gritty, and so I tend to get that mindset on and not look for things that don't fit.

I can understand the pleasure of shooting with film, particularly a very simple film camera, but if that’s the effect I want, I’ve got plenty of them collecting dust.  If I want gritty loss of detail, I can always do that in post processing, but I can’t recover detail that was never there.  But, to each their own.

> I'm weird like that ;-)

In the words of the bard, “Let me count the ways”.

--
Larry Colen
lrc at red4est.com