Pentax lenses I want

John Francis johnf at panix.com
Sat Nov 2 12:44:06 EDT 2019

On Sat, Nov 02, 2019 at 08:23:20AM -0400, John wrote:
> On 11/1/2019 19:39:33, John Francis wrote:

> > > Yeah, it's excellent. But it's also huge compared to the 28-105.
> >
> > ... and with a price tag to match!
> >
> > I could never quite persuade myself I needed the older FA* 28-70/2.8
> > to go along with the FA* 80-200/2.8 that was my main lens. But that's
> > because I was mostly doing motorsports photography - very different
> > from the sort of thing that Juan does - so the 28-105/f4.0-5.6 I had
> > met my needs for the occasional pit or paddock shots.
> >
> > I'm waiting to see whether the announced flagship APS-C camera body
> > makes it all the way into production; if it does, (and assuming that
> > it has the sort of feature upgrades that could tempt me) there's a
> > fairly good chance I'll buy one last Pentax body. But despite what
> > my PDML T-shirt says I'm not sure I'll be buying any more lenses;
> > the main potential candidate - the D FA 150-450 - would add quite
> > a bit to whatever the new body (plus grip) would cost.
> >

> I got lucky and the one last lens that I was pining away for just happened
> to fall into my lap this fall (even if I will still be paying for it for the
> next three years).

My lucky moment came around 20 years ago, when the lens I'd always longed for
(but thought I'd never own, as it wasn't cheap) turned up on the used market.
Apparently someone who earned his living shooting NASCAR was switching from
Pentax to Nikon, as his editors were now insisting on digital images.

I found out about this from a post on rec.photos.marketplace, which went
something like "If you're looking for a bargain, Charlotte Camera have a
Pentax 250-600 for sale for _only_ $3000", plus some other remarks which
made it fairly clear the poster meant this mostly as a humorous comment.

Five minutes later I followed up with a post that said "No they don't ..."

Then I had to explain to the household expenditure committee why I'd just
paid that much for a lens, especially since it was only a couple of months
since I'd picked up a used A* 300/2.8 (with 1.4x and 2x teleconverters).