My Mood Is Changing ... Again

Stanley Halpin stan at stans-photography.info
Tue Jan 1 10:16:27 EST 2019

Dan, I’ll borrow your thought: changing latitude as a way to change attitude.

When I travel, I take pictures. When I am home, the cameras mostly sit unused. However I find that I can nicely scratch my photographic itch in two ways.

First, I try to be observant, looking for photo ops. Doesn’t matter that I don’t have a camera along, I’ll see something happen, and will think about how to capture that scene.

Second, in between trips I have the joy (chore?) of reviewing all of the images, keywording, rating, selectively processing, sharing… I do this in small batches, trying to be quite deliberate, thinking about what I could have done to improve each image when I shot it. Sometimes trying to discern why I had bothered.

For me, each of these approaches helps maintain photography as a learning experience for me, which makes it interesting and challenging, which keeps me going through the doldrums. And if nothing else works, then I research my next destinations and try to previsualize the images I hope to bring back next time. Back to South America in a couple of months, Iberian Peninsula and Western Med this fall, NZ and Australia Feb-March 2020, back to Alaska in August 2020 - I have many upcoming opportunities for inspiration. Sooner or later my health or financial resources or both will run out and I will fall back to careful reviews of past adventures. Until then, I intend to keep on changing latitudes.

stan