Heading for Ireland & the UK

Bob Pdml pdmlbw at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 03:32:37 EDT 2019

For a first-time visitor I would recommend all the usual top tourist sites, otherwise you may feel you haven't really seen London.

I can strongly recommend the open-top bus tours which, on a nice day, give you a very good and enjoyable overview of central London and the main sights, and is a nice hop-on/hop-off way to travel between them. There is a small cluster of sights which are easy to walk between - Saint Paul's, over the Millennium Bridge to Tate Modern and the Globe, then a walk downstream to Tower Bridge and the Tower of London.

If you have time take a boat trip on the river in either direction. Downstream brings you to Greenwich, which is stunningly beautiful; upstream it's a good way to travel between Tate Modern and Tate Britain, and beyond that to Kew Gardens and Richmond, which are also superb. You probably won't have time to go to Hampton Court Palace, sadly.

The best museums and galleries are generally also the best-known: the Tates, National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, British Museum, Natural History Museum. But they are also the busiest.

If you like theatre try and go to the Globe, but get a seat rather than stand in the yard, and if you get a seat, take cushions as they are authentically hard wooden benches. The restaurant at the Globe is quite good, and there are numerous others in the area, mostly mid-range chains.

If you get some free time on the evening of Wednesday 8th let me know and we can maybe catch up for a beer. Because of work and previous commitments that is the only spare time I have during your trip.

Enjoy your trip!
Bob