OT: Buyer Beware

Paul Stenquist pnstenquist at comcast.net
Mon Apr 15 11:01:48 EDT 2019

My 1970 Pontiac jumped time in the parking lot of the old underground Coliseum Garage in NY in the early ‘80s. I knew something was wrong when it backfired just before I shut it off. It wouldn’t restart and puffed and wheezed as engines do when the cam is out of time.  It would have cost me a fortune to tow it home and even more to have it repaired in Manhattan, so i took off my shirt, borrowed some tools from the Motor Books crew who worked just around the corner in the Hearst building, bought the parts I needed at an old auto parts store in Hell’s Kitchen, went back to the garage, dove under the hood, took the front of the motor apart, replaced the cam gear and timing chain and installed new parts. Worst part was getting under the car to take out the front oil pan bolts.  It took the better part of a day to finish the job, so I missed a day of work but saved the car and hundreds of dollars. I was on a salary, so I didn’t get docked, and my boss, the editor of Motor Magazine, a service industry trade publication, applauded my efforts.  Today at ’71, I’d bite the bullet and call a repair shop. Too many broken parts on this old body to work that hard.