OT: Buyer Beware

Steve Cottrell cotty at seeingeye.tv
Sun Apr 14 09:23:34 EDT 2019

On 14/4/19, Alan C, discombobulated, unleashed:

>My younger daughter had the misfortune of cam belt failure on her 1995
>Hyundai Accent 1.5 csi. The car has been in the family since new & has
>been a reliable, economic runner. The cam belt had been replaced at
>100000 & 200000km as recommended but this one failed after only another
>75000km. The first 2 replacement cam belts were genuine Hyundai but the
>third an after market substitute. Strangely enough, I still have the cam
>belt I removed at 200000km & it looks perfectly OK!  After stripping it
>was found that, luckily, the only damage was bent exhaust valve heads on
>cylinders 1 & 3. (This is an interference engine design). On account of
>the age of the car I didn't want to spend too much on repairs so I
>shopped around for the cheapest set of exhaust valves & a head set.
>First problem - the valve stem oil seals were a loose fit (totally
>useless) so I had to buy better ones. Second problem: the exhaust valves
>were such poor quality that 3 of the stems bent when I was installing
>them in the head using a valve spring compressor. I only noticed the
>problem after I had re-installed the head & was busy fitting the cam &
>rockers, 3 of which didn't line up with the valve stems. Back to square
>one. I will need to buy another good quality set of exhaust valves. I
>will also buy a top quality head gasket - I don't trust anything cheap
>any more. I have successfully done many engine overhauls over the years
>& must say I enjoy this sort of thing but this time, at the age of 75, I
>find I am suffering all sorts of aches & pains I have never had before,
>so this will definitely be the last!
>
>Thanks for listening. I feel much better now.

I feel your pain brother - and once built a Rover V8 from scratch so I know what you're talking about! That has a timing chain rather than a belt but my current vehicle,  a Freelander 2 is up to 73,000 miles and the cambelt rec is for 150,000. I can tell you now that it won't be anywhere near that when I change it! The only thing I would say is that used cam belts may look absolutely fine, but the nature of the materials changes after so many heat/cool cycles!

--

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__    UK Shoot / Edit and