OT: Out of the World image

Igor PDML-StR pdmlstr at komkon.org
Fri Apr 12 11:19:16 EDT 2019

Last night, during late-night drive, while there was nothing listenable on
the usual radio stations, I turned on "Coast-to-Coast" on the radio (Late
night AM radio talk program about "paranormal" things).
There was some "expert" who was talking about this blackhole image: "This
is not exactly a photograph... It is an image that is made [up] based on
the data, ..."
(Which is true in the very strict meaning of the word "photograph", if you
consider the origin of the word photography, - from Greek "photos"
meaning "light". Wavelengths used for the image are far from the visible
light spectrum.)

That reminded me of some similar statements by "purists" among
photographers about what constitutes an unaltered [digital] photograph,
i.e. how processing an image makes it not a "true photo".

Igor

Also: It's HUGE! https://xkcd.com/2135/