OT: How Smart Phone Photography affects memory

Bill anotherdrunkensot at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 17:53:33 EDT 2018

On 3/30/2018 2:57 PM, Jostein wrote:
 > It claims that the very act of obsessing about photographing instead
of experiencing will diminish the memory of the visited place.
 > My thought when I read the article was that people more obsessed by
collecting crutches for their memories than trusting their ability to
experience have been around for much longer than phone cameras.

That's why people bring back some sort of trinket from their vacation
travels, or save locks of their children's hair, or whatever we do to
have some sort of keepsake to jog our memories.
The problem with having a camera mashed into your face all the time is
that you will have no memories to jog, other than the smell of sweat
covered plastic.
I've always felt that being where nice pictures are is more important
than taking pictures when there.
Sadly, I'm getting to the point in my life where it would be nice to
have a few more pictures reminding me of the nice places I've been, and
have forgotten about.

bill