Experience with third-party batteries

P. J. Alling webstertwentysix at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 14:56:55 EST 2018

I have a Watson branded extra battery that I'm using in the K-5II the
specifications were a bit better than the Pentax branded version that
came with the camera and I haven't noticed any real difference between
the two batteries.  They both hold a charge about as long and I get a
similar number of exposures per charge.

On the other hand I have a Flashpoint branded DL-I50 for the K20D which
from it's purchase had noticeably less power reserves than the Pentax
branded battery that came with that camera, despite also having better
specifications on paper.  Using the K20D I don't ever remember running
out of power with the OEM battery during normal usage, and the spare was
only there to be used in a pinch.

Sadly I think that brand names on third party, (unless you're buying a
big brand), batteries are kind of a crap shoot.  I've read reviews that
show the exact opposite of my experience with those two brands.

On 3/5/2018 8:50 AM, Mark Roberts wrote:
> Can anyone recommend options for third-party batteries for Pentax? I'm
> specifically referring to the D-Li90 type used in pretty much
> everything from the K-7 up to the K-1.
>
> There are a lot of options out there with varying specifications and
> user reports vary even more wildly. One resourceful buyer who wrote an
> Amazon review actually measured the discharge rate of a so-called
> 2100mAh battery and found it to be around 1100mAh. Mind you, for less
> than $10.00 that would still be an attractive alternative to the
> $50.00 Pentax OEM battery if I did all my work in the studio! But when
> trekking through Yorkshire on the Pennine Way in May I'd like to get
> longer battery life than that; I'm planning on carrying two batteries
> - one in the camera and one in my pack - and recharging every night.
> I'm not a machine gunner so even with GPS on that should work out if
> battery life is reasonable.

     - P.J. O'Rourke