That's why it's called a PORTRAIT lens - or why my nose looks big.

P. J. Alling webstertwentysix at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 12:55:22 EST 2018

Well known in the photo community is kind of an understatement. This has
been common knowledge in photography since the late 1800s and in fact
was explored by artists without special lenses simple mathematical
models of perspective since the early renaissance. George Santayana was
right.

On 3/2/2018 11:36 AM, Igor PDML-StR wrote:

> This news popped up on a few science websites yesterday (I suspect due
> to Rutgers' PR department's efforts), - and I just saw it on CBS
> morning news review this morning.
>
> https://phys.org/news/2018-03-distortive-effects-short-distance-nasal.html
>

> While what they discussed is fine, they should've worked with a
> photographer and a zoom lens instead of (or in addition to the
> simulations).
>
> I believe this is well known in the photo community. (Isn't it?)
> And that's why "portrait lenses" are used for ghm... portraits (what a
> coincidence!) -- because of the most flattering angle of view/facial
> features proportions.
> But I am preaching to the choir here... ;-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Igor

     - P.J. O'Rourke