PDML Annual book - request for next year

John Francis johnf at panix.com
Thu Mar 1 00:55:35 EST 2018

The frequency of problems encountered with Windows 10 is pretty strongly correlated
with how unusual your configuration is.  If you're running a machine that is identical
to thousands of other machines out there, youre not likely to run into many problems.

If, on the other hand, you have a system that you've built yourself from a variety
of different components, you're on somewhat shakier ground.  Not every device has
new W10 drivers, and even if your ones do it's unlikely that the device manufacturer
tested their new driver on a machine that matches your configuration (and even less
likely that any testing had all the newest drivers for all the other devices).  Most
of the time you'll be fine, and there won't be interactions between the drivers (even
if you're using old W7 drivers because there isn't a W10 driver for one or more devices).
But if you're one of the unlucky ones who is the first to trip over a particular bug
you're stuck, and you're unlikely to get any help determining which of the devices is
actually causing your problem (and even less likely to get the manufacturer of the
device to admit responsibility and fix the problem).

Laptops, of course, are sold in far more limited configurations (and the W10 pre-install
compatibility tester knows about most of them), so if W10 is prepared to install itself on
the laptop it's probably going to work.

It's because he was switching to a a laptop from a mainstream manufacturer (and a fairly
up-to-date one at that) that I suggested John might want to reconsider his position
vis-a-vis Windows 10. I had no significant problems upgrading either of my notebooks
(the Dell XPS13 I bought five years ago or the HP8740w that was a couple of years older),
although since then the HP has succumbed to hardware failures.
While you're going through the hassle of porting everything to a new machine anyway is
the best time to change the operating system - you don't really want to go through all
the grief again in a couple of years.  In fact the W7 - W10 upgrade was only the second
time I upgraded the OS on one of my systems (the other was back in the Windows NT era);
most of the time I kept the machines running the OS that was initially installed.