Bargain Pentax "People" zoom for crop sensors

P. J. Alling webstertwentysix at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 09:08:40 EDT 2018

I've been using one for years, it's pretty good for a compact standard
zoom.  My only issue with it is it seems downright cheap, (build quality
that is), compared to it's stablemate the F 70-210 f4.0~5.6.  IIRC I
paid $35 US for my copy, but I've seen the at KEH for 10 dollars less,
probably in better condition than the one I have.

On 8/30/2018 2:10 AM, J.C. O'Connell wrote:
> Reading the lens reviews in Pentax forums, I came across an
> interesting lens I just had to buy as
> the cost is absurdly low (under $45 shipped ). It also has the
> distinction of being the smallest
> zoom lens Pentax ever made ( it's barely larger than a F50mm F1.4 ).
> And it has a built in macro mode
> which gives a usable 1:4 magnification @ 70mm. It has an aperture ring
> with the "A" setting for autoexposure on DSLRs and AF too.
>
> What lens am I referring to? The smc Pentax-F 35-70mm F3.5-F4.5 I call
> it a "People" lens
> on a crop sensor as the equiv. focal range is 53-105mm, perfect for
> full body shots or small groups
> to individuals and head shot portraits. Ideal for an all in one family
> portrait lens.
>
> While I havent done extensive critical testing yet, initial snapshots
> show outstanding sharpness and contrast throughout the range, very
> minor and easily correctable CA, and no PF to speak of, at least
> stopped down a little. AF is snappy and accurate, even indoors on my
> K-5IIs. No distortion even at 35mm.
>
> As an example of the typical sharpness, Ive posted a macro pic:
>
> https://www.jchriso.com/temp/35-70macro,jpg

     - P.J. O'Rourke