The monitor saga continues

P. J. Alling webstertwentysix at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 01:02:08 EST 2017

I have no nifty hardware.  So it wouldn't be much of an upgrade,
probably going in the wrong direction actually.  I wish you luck in your
quest for video Nirvana,  Someday I too have hopes of owning a decent
video card, I had a superior monitor, but sadly it was a CRT and in
spite of being repairable, can find no one willing to repair it.

On 11/28/2017 6:44 PM, Larry Colen wrote:
> I was able to pick up a Samsung U28E510 IPS 4K monitor at costco for
> $300.
>
> The downside is that the Radeon 5770 card in my 2009 4,1 mac pro won't
> drive it at full resolution but only at 2560x1440.  In theory I can
> throw a couple hundred more dollars at the problem, pick up a newer
> graphics card and life will be golden.  There is also the chance that
> lightroom would also be able to offload some more of the processing on
> the GPUs, speeding everything up a bit.
>
> Anybody have thoughts, experience, or nifty hardware they're looking
> to sell cheaply to solve this issue?

     - P.J. O'Rourke