Photographer Jack Spencer's book This Land

Eric Weir eeweir at bellsouth.net
Sat Aug 19 14:47:26 EDT 2017

> On Aug 19, 2017, at 2:14 PM, Daniel J. Matyola <danmatyola at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I see only one person -- a girl -- in all those images.  Apparently,
> America is more beautiful without Americans.

I take it the subject is the beauty of the land, Dan. What's your reaction to the mages?

In a week or so I'll be taking off for a camping trip the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'll be taking my camera(s). I imagine there'll be lots of photographs. I imagine the subject will be the landscape, allowing for elements of human intervention. I don't know if there will be any people.

My own NSH take is that America would be not just a more beautiful place but a better place if we paid more attention to/had more respect for the landscape.

I have always admired Frank Lloyd Wright.   On visit to Fallingwater this summer <https://flickr.com/photos/46569265@N07/sets/72157686190783905> I learned about his principle of "organic design": Fit the design to the landscape, not the landscape to the design. We have nearly wrecked the American landscape with design that has no respect for it.

Forgive me for going OT.

Eric Weir