K-3 question

William Robb anotherdrunkensot at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 22:57:38 EDT 2017

I shot a total eclipse in Estevan in around 1978, and spent some time
making sure I wasn't going to trash my camera.
The longest lens I has was a 200mm, I would have liked a 300. I think a 400
would have been too much.
I guess these days there are zooms, but they were rare and crappy at that
time.

Anyway, the wisdom back then was to keep your mirror down except during
exposure because of the possibility of cutting the curtain. Mostly it was
cloth shutters and I had an F2 which was titanium foil. I think now the
shutters are all made of some sort of plastic. I don't know if they will
take that sort of heat or not.
I had a mylar filter in a card that the local astronomy club said was safe
to view the sun with, so I held it over the front of the lens for
composing, and then took my eye away from the viewfinder and the filter
away from the lens to take pictures. Once totality was achieved, the filter
wasn't needed. I think we were right in the middle of the shadow for that
one. The totality seemed to go on forever.

Bill