PESO - Dogwood Flower

Mark C pdml-mark at charter.net
Wed Apr 26 21:53:33 EDT 2017

Thanks, Gonz. I share your disdain for Silkypix - the user interface is
weak and it lacks a lot of functionality found in Adobe Camera Raw.

I don't use lightroom - locked in with Photoshop CS6 for the time being.
Adobe stopped updating ACR for CS6 with the K3II as the last Pentax
supported camera. I'm not sure what that means - ACR still opens K1 DNG
files, but does not seem to process the pixelshift images as well as
Silkypix or in camera JPG's. But the version of ACR I have was updated
to support pixel shift mode. I don't know if that means it supports only
K3II pixel shift mode or if it also supports K1 pixel shift mode. Last I
looked (4 to 6 weeks ago) ACR did not support motion corrected pixel
shift mode.

I did some testing with to tools I have SIlkpix, in camera JPG's, the
outdaed version of ACR. My workflow is to shoot in motion corrected
pixelshift mode and use Zerene stacker combine TIFFs . (Zerene stacker
does not work with raw file, afaik). I see more difference in focus
stacked / pixel shift images than in single pixel shift images. In my
tests, the hierarchy is:

1.
DNG's converted in Silkypix - the amount of detail in stacked images is
really impressive.
2.
In camera JPG's converted to TIFF's via ACR - almost as good as DNG's in
Silkypix but some artifacts appear in the stacked images - maybe JPG
artifacts amplified by stacking?
3.
DNG's converted in ACR - notably less detail than the above two options,
but...
4.
Non pixel shift images converted in ACR - less detail than the above,
including pixel shift DNG's converted with ACR.

So - it seems that even the outdated version of ACR I have shows some
improvement with pixel shift mode, but not on par with SIlkypix or in
camea JPG's. FWIW, I use pixel shift in motion corrected mode because at
high magnification I see vibrations in images every now and then. A
garbage truck hitting a pothole half a block away can create visible
motion in the subject even at just 1:1.

That's where I am at with testing Pixel shift images. I doubt that I
will ever move to Lightroom since blending of layers is an integral
aspect of how I post process and LIghtroom does not support layers.
Aside from the updated ACR I have not seen any update in Photoshop CC
that is very compelling.

Mark