Controversy around McCurry

John Sessoms johnsessoms at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 6 17:34:34 EDT 2017

It's not rumor. There was another flag up there first.

But raising the second flag was not "staged".

Lieutenant Colonel Chandler Johnson, commander of the 2nd Battalion,
28th Marine Regiment, 5th Marine Division ordered one of his company
commanders to seize the summit & raise the flag. That flag was
photographed by Staff Sgt. Louis R. Lowery for Leatherneck magazine

Secretary of the Navy Forrestal witnessed that flag being raised from
the beach on Iwo Jima (where he was accompanying the Marine Corps Task
Force 56 Commander) & asked to have the flag for a souvenir.

LTC Johnson ordered his company commander to send a platoon to the
summit to secure the first flag for the battalion and to raise a
replacement flag. The *FIRST* flag belonged to the Battalion.

Forrestal could take the second flag for a souvenir if he wanted one.

Associated Press Photographer Joe Rosenthal arrived at the summit of Mt.
Suribachi just as the Marines were preparing to raise that second flag.
He photographed that event without knowing it was the second flag.

He sent his film to Guam to be developed and transmitted it back to the
U.S. as a wire photo. AP distributed the photo in the U.S. without
knowing it was a replacement flag being raised.

The "staged" controversy is because Rosenthal took a group photo of the
Marines after they raised the flag & when asked if he had "posed the
photo" answered yes thinking he was being asked about the subsequent
group photo.

The flag raising was not posed.

Both flags are at the National Museum of the Marine Corps.