Slide & film copying - yet again....

Mark C pdml-mark at charter.net
Tue May 31 19:03:15 EDT 2016

Regarding scanners - I'd second Godfrey's recommendation. I use a Nikon
LS 8000, the model which preceded the 9000, and it produces consistent
and reliable results. 99% of what I scan is B&W and Vuescan does a great
job with it.  I do not find that I need to do much tweaking with B&W - I
just make sure that the full tonal range of the B&W film is captured (no
clipping of the highlights or shadows) and proceed. With 35mm I batch
scan 12 exposures in a single pass. I can then make adjustments in
Photoshop. I scan everything I shoot. I have scanned close to 4000
frames so far in 2016 (all but 200 or so being 35mm.) The scanner is not
fast but it is on a dedicated PC and just chugs along in the background
when I am working on the primary PC.

Color negatives remain a more time consuming exposure by exposure
process though, but I shoot only about 10 rolls of  medium format per
year these days.

I don't know what Epson scanner you are using, but I would expect that
you should be able to get good results with 35mm slides. I had good luck
with batch scanning 35mm color Ektachrome slides using a Canon Canoscan
FS4000 in the past. As I recall, more contrasty and saturated films
(Velvia and E100VS for example) needed more tweaking. But could batch
scan E100S and Provia with few problems. Canon had its own version of IR
dust removal (I think it was called FARE) that worked pretty well.

Good luck

Mak

On 5/31/2016 5:50 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
> Well, if you don't want to send things out and have 35mm to medium format to scan, a good Nikon medium-format film scanner is likely the most efficient way to get a number done In semi-automated way. The Nikon SuperCoolscan 9000 ED produces excellent scans at 4000 dpi resolution (35mm slides up to five at a time, 35mm film strips up to 12 at a time, 4x 645, 3x 6x6, 2x 6x7 or 6x9 per load with the different standard film carriers). There are also ANR glass carriers for more complex film loads and odd formats, and some folks make accessory carriers for them (I have one that lets me load an entire 40 exposure roll of Minox 8x11 film, for instance). NikonScan is long out of development, but VueScan drives this scanner beautifully and it can make the scanner do lovely tricks with a bit of experience and practice.
>
> The only downside to this route is that these scanners are not cheap (about $2000-4000 depending on condition and included accessories), nor are they particularly fast (but faster and higher quality than flatbed scanners). The good thing is that the VueScan software, particularly in its pro version, provides excellent flexibility and will apply the basic inversion for negatives for you automatically, which saves a massive amount of time when doing a largish number of scans.
>
> I haven't used mine in a while and should probably put it on the market (it's a lot of cash to have tied up in something that you're not using actively, never mind being a bulky thing to store). But every time I think to do it, I run into a situation where it is the best, if not only, way to get it done and I wonder what I'd do if I didn't have it.
>
> And that's why my closets are so stuffed full the way they are.... !

>> On May 31, 2016, at 1:20 PM, Malcolm Smith <rrvelar at virginmedia.com> wrote:
>>
>> You have answered a question I was about to ask about scanning other
>> formats. I've been left, or have taken over the decades, a number of
>> different film/slide formats to digitise. Each has their own issues, but the
>> bulk are 35mm slides.

---