PESO: X Marks The Pot (late PUG)

David Mann dmann.nz at gmail.com
Wed May 4 01:30:40 EDT 2016

On May 4, 2016, at 11:48 AM, Rick Womer <rickpics14 at gmail.com> wrote:

> That has to be the most unusual rainbow pic I've seen. Lovely!
>
> You took a 6x7 biking, huh? To build strength?

Here's an old scan of a wider view, taken on a 35mm camera (Z-1p) with the lovely SMCP 35mm f/3.5 lens.  I really got lucky with my location and time-of-year/day to see something like that.
http://gallery.multi.net.nz/photo/71/

The camera gear was in the car: we had driven the short distance from St Arnaud where we were staying (which is on Lake Rotoiti).  Needless to say we abandoned the ride.  My fingers were numb just taking photos.

I did actually carry a Pentax 6x7 when I biked through Molesworth Station earlier that year.  It's a featherweight compared to the RB67 I'd been using previously.  That ride was about the hardest thing I've ever done as I hadn't done any preparation for it besides my usual weekend rides.  The first day was 80km, the second 120km with a lot of hills, mostly on gravel roads.  And the photos I took weren't that great.  But in hindsight it was a cool experience.

Cheers,
Dave