"You must have a nice camera!": Results vs. Tools (or Toys)

Bob W-PDML pdml at web-options.com
Sun Jul 10 17:47:58 EDT 2016

On 10 Jul 2016, at 20:56, Mark Roberts <postmaster at robertstech.com> wrote:

> Igor PDML-StR wrote:
>

>> Something just hit me, provoking this line of thoughts...
>>
>> Preamble:
>> How many times have you heard (usually from people you don't know
>> closely): "You've got nice photos, you must have a nice camera!".
>
> I have heard this precisely zero times. I think it's a photographer's
> Urban Legend.

That must be because you don't have nice photos...

I've heard it several times. I don't interpret it as meaning the camera is responsible for the shots, but as an acknowledgement of the technical quality compared to run-of-the-mill stuff, and as an expectation that someone whose pictures are good would use good equipment. I'd expect a good enthusiastic amateur cook to have good knives and pans, even if they're not Mauviel.